Zahtar Eggplant Farro Risotto
Nutty farro and Arabic spices make a beautiful flavour combination. Serve as a vegetarian main course or as a side dish with roast leg of lamb or grilled meat.
Cuisine: Middle Eastern
Servings: 4 (hover over the number to adjust)
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 cup organic farro
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 cup chicken, vegetable or beef stock
- 1/2 cup eggplant, diced
- 1/2 cup kale, chopped
- 2 tsp zahtar spice
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 cup walnut halves, toasted
- 2 Tbsp pine nuts, toasted
- 1 Roma tomato, halved and roasted
- 1/4 cup Goat cheese, crumbled
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. When hot, add the shallot and cook until soft and translucent.
- Add farro and garlic and cook a few minutes longer to bring out the grains nutty flavour.
- Add white wine, cook for a few seconds and then add the stock.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer 15 to 20 minutes, adding small amounts of water as needed.
- Five minutes before the farro is finished, add the eggplant, kale, zahtar, cumin, turmeric, half the toasted nuts and season.
- Cook until the eggplant and kale are tender and most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Garnish with the remaining nuts, tomatoes, goat cheese and serve.