Vegan Chickpea Fritters
These fritters are versatile and depending on their size, make a flavourful and filling vegan main course or a perfect bite size nibble for a party.
Author: Jodi MacKinnon
Recipe type: Mains
Serves: 12 to 24
Red Pepper Aioli
- ½ cup veganaise
- 4 grilled red peppers, chopped
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh dill
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp black pepper
"Old Bay" Seasoning
- 1 Tbsp celery salt
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- ⅛ tsp cayenne
- ⅛ tsp dry mustard powder
- ⅛ tsp ground cinnamon
- In a food processor combine the aioli ingredients and blend. Chill.
- In a small bowl combine all the seasoning ingredients.
- Put the chickpeas, hearts of palm, and jalapeno in a food processor and pulse to shred. Do not over process to a mash.
- Put the chickpea mixture into a large bowl and add the vegenaise, "Old Bay" seasoning, vinegar, mustard, and 1 cup panko breadcrumbs. Mix well.
- Put the remaining ½ cup of panko in a shallow dish.
- Form the chickpea mixture into patties (fritters) and coat in the panko.
- Heat the oil in a skillet on medium-high heat. Add the fritters to the pan and cook until golden on one side, approximately 3 minutes. Adjust the heat to prevent burning. Flip and cook the other side until golden.
- Transfer to a paper-towel lined tray and put in a warm oven to hold.
- Serve the chickpea fritters with red pepper aioli and an arugula salad.
Qualifirst's COO, Jodi loves cooking and baking. Taking raw ingredients and turning them into something that is absolutely delicious, with just the right flavor balance, is one of her favorite pastimes.