Versatile, delicious and vegan. Depending on their size, they make a flavourful and filling vegan main course or a perfect bite size nibble for a party.
- In a food processor combine the aioli ingredients and blend. Chill.
- In a small bowl combine all the seasoning ingredients.
- Put the chickpeas, hearts of palm, and jalapeno in a food processor and pulse to shred. Do not over process to a mash.
- Put the chickpea mixture into a large bowl and add the vegenaise, "Old Bay" seasoning, vinegar, mustard, and 1 cup panko breadcrumbs. Mix well.
- Put the remaining ½ cup of panko in a shallow dish.
- Form the chickpea mixture into patties (fritters) and coat in the panko.
- Heat the oil in a skillet on medium-high heat. Add the fritters to the pan and cook until golden on one side, approximately 3 minutes. Adjust the heat to prevent burning. Flip and cook the other side until golden.
- Transfer to a paper-towel lined tray and put in a warm oven to hold.
- Serve the chickpea fritters with red pepper aioli and an arugula salad.