Quinoa and Three Bean Chili
2 hrs 30 mins
Nothing beats a pot of chili simmering on the stove. The complex mix of beans and grains makes a hearty and healthy protein-rich meal.
Servings: 12 (hover over the number to adjust)
- 1/4 cup David's organic extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 green peppers, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 38 oz canned pinto beans
- 38 oz canned chickpeas
- 38 oz canned black beans
- 15 oz. canned hominy
- 1 cup organic tri-blend quinoa
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 8 cups San Marzano tomatoes, chopped
- 3 chipotles in adobo sauce, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 Tbsp Mexican chili
- 1 Tbsp pasilla chili powder
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 2 Tbsp onion powder
- 2 Tbsp garlic powder
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 6 cups water
- Parmesan rind
- Green onions, chopped
- Sliced avocado
- Grated parmesan
- Cilantro, finely chopped
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. When hot, add onion and peppers and cook until soft. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the ground beef and cook, stirring frequently, until the meat is no longer pink, about 10 minutes. Drain any excess fat from the meat and vegetables.
- Add the beans, hominy, quinoa, corn, tomatoes, chipotles, spices, vegetable stock, water, and parmesan rind.
- Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook partially covered for 2 hours. Adjust the spice according to taste.
- Serve garnished with green onions, avocado, parmesan, and coriander.
Perfect in a slow cooker or instant pot.