Okra Fried Bomba Rice
Bomba is a small grain, non-starchy Spanish rice traditionally used in paella. It's fried with flavourings before liquid is added, in a method similar to a pilaf.
Servings: 4 (hover over the number to adjust)
- Heat oil in a large shallow skillet or paella pan over medium-high heat. When hot add the onion, red pepper, okra, garlic and cook until soft.
- Add the cumin and cayenne and cook for a minute until aromatic.
- Add the bomba rice and cook for several minutes, coating in oil.
- Add 3 1/2 cups water and cook uncovered for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add remaining water and cook uncovered without stirring for another 8 minutes, or until the liquid level is below the rice.
- Cover and cook for another 10 minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed and the bottom of the rice has begun to caramelise, forming a crunchy, golden crust.
- Garnish with tamari and basil and serve.