- Rinse the rice under cold water until there's no starch running out of it and the water is clear.
- Put the rice and water in a pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover the pot, and steam for 15 to 20 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed. Remove from the heat and let stand for 15 minutes, covered.
- Heat sesame oil over medium-high heat in a non-stick skillet or wok. When hot, but not smoking, add the green onions and pine nuts and cook, tossing often, until scallions wilt slightly and pine nuts are toasted.
- Add the cooked rice and soy and cook, stirring often, until it's hot and there are no clumps.
- Serve garnished with chiles.
Japanese-Style Fried Rice
Fried rice is best when made from leftover rice or with rice that's been cooked a day in advance and refrigerated. This is easy to prepare and can be dressed up with vegetables, meat or tofu.
Servings: 4 (hover over the number to adjust)