Grano Risotto with Cremini Mushrooms and Watercress
There's lots of umami flavour in this risotto from the toasted grano, meaty cremini mushrooms and shaved parmesan. A beautiful first course or side dish with grilled or roasted meat.
Author: Jodi MacKinnon
Recipe type: Main
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 cup grano
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- ½ cup white wine
- 2 cups chicken, vegetable, or beef stock
- Water, as needed
- ⅔ cup watercress, picked and washed
- 1 cup small cremini mushrooms
- ½ cup shaved parmesan
- Melt 2 Tbsp butter in a saucepan over medium heat. When hot, add the shallot and cook until soft and translucent.
- Add grano and garlic and cook a few minutes longer to bring out the grains nutty flavour.
- Add white wine, cook for a few seconds and then add the stock.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer 15 to 20 minutes, adding small amounts of water if needed.
- Five minutes before the grano is cooked, add the watercress, mushrooms, 2 tablespoons butter and most of the parmesan.
- Garnish with parmesan shavings and serve.
Qualifirst's COO, Jodi loves cooking and baking. Taking raw ingredients and turning them into something that is absolutely delicious, with just the right flavor balance, is one of her favorite pastimes.