Strawberry and Kale Sorghum Salad
Red quinoa gives this salad a pleasant crunch and boosts the protein. The strawberries add beautiful colour and just the right amount of sweetness in the dressing.
Author: Jodi MacKinnon
Recipe type: Salad
Serves: 4 servings
- ½ cup sorghum
- 2 tsp thyme
- 1½ cups water
- ¼ cup red quinoa
- 1½ cups kale, chopped
- ¼ cup hemp seed
- ½ cup strawberries, sliced
- ½ cup red onion, diced
- 2 Tbsp strawberries, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp honey
- ⅓ cup white wine vinegar
- ⅔ cup olive oil
- Place sorghum and water in a pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Add the quinoa and cook for another 10 minutes. Strain.
- Blanch and refresh the kale.
- Combine the sorghum/quinoa mix, kale, hempseed, strawberries, and red onion.
- Toss with the dressing, season and serve.
- Combine strawberries, honey, white wine vinegar and slowly whisk in the olive oil to emulsify.
Qualifirst's COO, Jodi loves cooking and baking. Taking raw ingredients and turning them into something that is absolutely delicious, with just the right flavor balance, is one of her favorite pastimes.