Shaved Fennel Salad
Makes the perfect first course for a holiday or celebratory meal or can be turned into a main course by adding slices of rosy grilled duck breast or juicy roast chicken. A salad that tastes like a celebration.
Author: Deborah Reid
Recipe type: Entree
Serves: 4 to 6 servings
- 2 tsp. finely chopped shallot
- 2 tbsp. Guinette cherry juice or Griotte cherry juice
- 3 tbsp. honey vinegar (Emmanuelle Baillard)
- 5 tbsp. grape seed oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed and tough outer layers removed
- 5 oz. (1 cello pack) baby arugula
- ½ cup walnut halves, toasted
- 36 Guinette or Griotte cherries
- ¼ lb. St. Agur blue cheese, at room temperature
- ½ bunch chives, finely chopped
Preparing the Cherry Vinaigrette:
- In a small bowl whisk together the shallot, cherry juice, and honey vinegar and season to taste. Slowly whisk in the oil and adjust the seasoning.
- This vinaigrette can be made a day or two in advance and refrigerated until needed.
Preparing the Salad:
- Stand the trimmed fennel bulb up on its root end and cut in half vertically. Using a mandoline, thinly shave the fennel. Do not do this too far in advance as fennel oxidizes.
- Just before serving, combine the fennel, arugula, walnuts and cherries. Whisk the vinaigrette to combine and drizzle some of it over the salad. Toss and season according to taste.
- Divide the salad and ingredients among plates. Garnish each salad with pieces of blue cheese, sprinkle finely chopped chive over the salad, and drizzle a little of the vinaigrette on the plate if desired.
Pro-chef living a delicious life. Twenty five years working within striking distance of a gas range. My appetite is as large as my enthusiasm.
Latest posts by Deborah Reid (see all)
- Shaved Fennel, Guinette and Arugula Salad with Walnuts and Blue Cheese - November 17, 2014
- Guinette Cherry Galette - November 17, 2014
- Popping Candy – A Fun and Exciting Eating Sensation - January 3, 2014