Orange, Black Barley and Spinach Salad
Black barley and orange segments create a spectacular presentation. The barley and chickpeas combine to form a complete protein making this an excellent vegetarian main course salad.
Author: Jodi MacKinnon
Recipe type: Salad
Serves: 4 servings
- ½ cup black barley
- 1½ cups water
- 1 cup asparagus, chopped
- 1 cup orange segments
- 1 cup chickpeas
- 2 cups spinach
- ½ cup goat cheese, crumbled
- ¼ cup fresh-squeezed orange juice
- 1 Tbsp honey
- ⅓ cup white wine vinegar
- ⅔ cup olive oil
- Put black barley in a pot with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until tender. Strain and cool.
- Blanch and refresh the asparagus.
- Segment the oranges by slicing off the top and bottom. Let your knife follow the shape of the orange and cut the skin from the flesh. Cut orange segments from the membrane. Squeeze the juice out of the remaining pulp to use in the dressing.
- Combine the barley, asparagus, orange segments, chickpeas, and spinach.
- Toss with some of the dressing, add the goat cheese, season and serve.
- Combine the orange juice, honey, white wine vinegar and slowly whisk in the olive oil to emulsify.
Qualifirst's COO, Jodi loves cooking and baking. Taking raw ingredients and turning them into something that is absolutely delicious, with just the right flavor balance, is one of her favorite pastimes.
Latest posts by Jodi MacKinnon (see all)
- Spiced Apple Cider - October 20, 2017
- Smoked Paprika Burgers with Beet Relish - October 2, 2017
- Squid Ink Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes and Dinosaur Kale - September 25, 2017