Middle Eastern Six Grain Salad
A perfect salad for a summer picnic made with a unique blend of grains including wehani rice, rye berries and brown rice. With lots of fresh-herb flavour, it’s delicious with grilled lamb kebabs or pork tenderloin.
Author: Jodi MacKinnon
Recipe type: Salad
Cuisine: Middle Eastern
- 2 cups Six Grain Medley Rice
- 5 cups water
- ½ cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 cup diced English cucumber
- ¼ dried sundried cranberries
- Seeds from 1 pomegranate
- ¼ cup chopped cashews
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- ½ cup finely chopped fresh basil
- ¼ cup finely chopped parsley
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp honey
- Rinse the Six Grain Medley Rice under cold water until there’s no starch running out of it.
- Put the rice and water in a pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for 35 to 40 minutes. Let the rice cool completely. This can be done a day in advance.
- Combine the rice and salad ingredients in a bowl and season.
- Whisk together the salad dressing ingredients and pour over the salad. Toss and serve.
Qualifirst's COO, Jodi loves cooking and baking. Taking raw ingredients and turning them into something that is absolutely delicious, with just the right flavor balance, is one of her favorite pastimes.