Delicious and healthy. the perfect go-to meal idea for any night of the week.
Author: Nicole MacVicar
- ⅓ cup Low-sodium soy sauce
- ⅓ cup Hoisin sauce
- ⅓ cup Chicken base (mixed with water) or broth (low sodium)
- 2 Tbsp Agave nectar or honey
- 2 Tbsp Ginger, minced
- ½ tsp Sambal Oelek (or to taste)
- 4 Garlic cloves, minced
- 2¼ Lbs Chicken thighs, boneless, skinless and trimmed of fat
- 1 Tbsp Cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp Water
- 1 bunch Green onions, sliced (garnish)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, hoisin sauce, chicken broth, agave nectar, ginger and sambal oelek and garlic. Pour into crockpot, turn on high allow the sauce to heat up. Combine the water and cornstarch whisk and add to sauce.
- Place the trimmed chicken thighs in a frying pan and brown for 2-3 minutes per side.
- Add the chicken into the crockpot and cook the chicken on HIGH for 3-4 hours or until cooked through and shreds easily.
- Transfer the chicken to a large wide-base bowl, let cool slightly, then shred with two forks.
- Pour some sauce from the crockpot into the bowl with the chicken (as much as you like). Any remaining sauce can be poured over a side dish of veggies or rice.
- Toss to coat the chicken, add the green onions.
Serve with stir-fried veggies or rice or toast a fresh baguette or ciabatta bun to make a sandwich.
– Ingredients and recipe adapted from CookinCanuck.
Serving size: ½ cup (8 servings per recipe) Calories: 111.8 Fat: 2.9 g Saturated fat: 0.7 g Carbohydrates: 6.3 g Sugar: 3.1 g Sodium: 401.7 mg Fiber: 0.2 g Protein: 14.2 g Cholesterol: 57.6 mg
Qualifirst's COO, Jodi loves cooking and baking. Taking raw ingredients and turning them into something that is absolutely delicious, with just the right flavor balance, is one of her favorite pastimes.