Grain Medley Chili
A hearty chili made with grains like carnaroli rice, barley, millet and brown rice. The combination of beans and grains make it an excellent source of protein for vegans and vegetarians. Serve on its own or use in burritos or to top nachos.
Author: Jodi MacKinnon
Recipe type: Main
- 2 cups Japgok-Bap Risotto Medley
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1-15 oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1-28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 3 Tbsp chilli powder
- 4 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground oregano
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ cup finely chopped fresh coriander
- Rinse the Japgok-Bap Risotto Medley under cold water until there’s no starch running out of it. Put it into a bowl, cover with cold water and soak for 30 to 60 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. When hot, add the onions, celery and green pepper and cook until soft. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute longer.
- Drain the rice and add it along with the tomato paste.
- Add the kidney beans, diced tomatoes, stock, chilli powder, cumin, oregano, ground coriander, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low, partially cover and cook for 1 hour.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and serve.
Qualifirst's COO, Jodi loves cooking and baking. Taking raw ingredients and turning them into something that is absolutely delicious, with just the right flavor balance, is one of her favorite pastimes.